2000 outback vibration after repair to front axles

We have an automatic transmission 2000 outback with 71000 miles. Recently, my wife and I noticed a burned rubber smell when parked in the garage after driving so, we took it to Firestone to see what was going on. In addition to repairing front brakes and flushing the brake fluid (separate issue but done during the same visit), they said one internal and one external axle caster had ruptured and was leaking grease on the exhaust and the front axles needed to be replaced. We had this repair done and when we picked up the car, there was a vibration when the car was put in drive and idling. They looked at it again and tried replacing one of the rear axles, but couldn't figure out the cause of the problem and suggested we take it to the dealer. When we took it to the dealer, the "diagnostic" we paid $100 for resulted in the dealer suggesting to have Firestone to replace with genuine Subaru axles.

1) Would using after market axles cause this vibration? If not, what might be causing it? 2) Since both places can't seem to find the problem and won't take responsibility, what can we do?
Reply to
robertsdonald

I had a similar problem in the 60's with my Corvair Monza. That was an air-cooled rear engine vehicle with half shafts. The problem turned out to be worn needle bearings in the bushings in the transmission. Wasn't worth the money to repair. I lived with it until I sold traded it in. Hope this helps.

Al

Reply to
Al

I've read either here or on USMB that there is a very slight difference in axle lengths btw the genuine subaru axle and 3rd party axles. The vibration appears to be an inconvenience and doesn't do any harm to the vehicle. You just need to justify the added cost of the the genuine axle (2x or 3x?) vs the annoyance of the vibration. You may get credit for the axles at firestone but they'll charge you the labor to install again.

Reply to
John

I had a similar problem with a 2.2lt 95 legacy L sw. The original front axles were "weak" and at idle they would "flex" enough to cause a vibration that would rock a cd case in the map pocket on the door.

The problem was solved when subaru replaced the original axles with the ones used with the 2.5 lt engine. It took a few calls and letters to the president of SOA to get the problem solved.

Good luck!

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
AS