2001 outback AWD info

Where can I find out exactly what kind of AWD the 2001 Outback has? and how it works? For example, what does it mean when the back left wheel is spinning and the other ones aren't doing a thing... etc....or the front right, etc.

I mean, is this 2001 Outback REALLY all wheel drive or is that just marketing?

I need to find out exaclty how it operates, etc. so I can compare it to how my Mazda MPV 4 wheel drive operates.

For example, it would be nice to know what kind of things I should be using the MPV for and what things I should be using the Outback for.

Thanks for any helpful info you might send my way.

Bryce.

Reply to
Bryce

it's really AWD, but the kind depends on the transmission. IIRC cars with manual gearboxes have 50/50 f/r, but the automatics are different. I think they favor the front wheels, but don't know how much. I also think that there's limited slip left/right for the rear wheels, but don't know if that's true for the front.

Reply to
John Rethorst