2005 forester xt CE light

Esteemed and learned usenet readers:

Yes, you read the subject line right. This is regarding an '05 forester. I purchased this car *used* at a very reasonable price from reputable dealer with a 100,000 mile warranty.

The CE light came on within 4 days of my driving it off the lot. The dealer pulled the code and told me it was the O2 sensor. They said they would replace the sensor if the CE light came back on. It did, and they did. The second time, the service guy mentioned something about "slow response" but I was not sophisticated enough to ask more questions.

Everything was fine for about a week, then it came on for a third time. I was going to bring it in, but accidentally ran my battery down by leaving my dome light on all weekend. After the jump, the light was off for a few days, now it's on again.

I just got back from autozone and they pulled 3 codes:

O2 sensor CKT slow response Bank 1 Sensor 2 (2 times) post catalyst fuel trim bank 1 system too lean (1 time)

I always use premium (i.e. 93 octane). I always (as far as I know: now I'm nervous that I'm not) tighten the fuel cap to at least 1 click.

Assuming the 02 sensor really was replaced, and something else is going on, what could this be? I think the Subaru mechanics at the dealer are out of ideas. Spark plugs? Water in the tank? Bad cat? I'm reaching here...

Reply to
newman

Well, they could always take the sensors out of a good runnibg car of the same year and put those in your car, if the same codes pop up, they probably need to look at the cat itself. If not, then the sensors Subaru is sending them may be bad/different.

Carl

newman wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Do you have the car running when you add fuel? If so, that is your problem. Also, it should be several clicks.

Reply to
Alan

do you think a loose gas cap would throw these particular codes? and no: i never fill a gas tank with the car running. isn't that how gas stations blow up?

Reply to
newman

A loose gas cap could. It is a pressurized system. Anything is possible.

Reply to
Alan

That, and people filling cans up on composite bed liners.

No, the codes from loose gas cap are different...I forget terminology, but nothing like what you had.

Reply to
CompUser

Buying used is the problem- You probably bought a demo model and those are HARD miles!!!

Reply to
jabario

yes, all warranteed work. not a cent out of pocket yet. the dealer has been very apologetic and very helpful. it's just an inconvenience.

the car was never reported as a lemon, and it is not a dealer buy-back. the story i got was a guy bought it new, decided it wasn't big enough for his family and traded it in for an outback.

i'm hoping that it's just the matter of finding the part that didn't tolerate sitting on the lot for a few weeks in the cold Indiana winter without being run. more than a few people have suggested that the cat might be bad...

i'm taking it in monday, so i'll let you know.

Reply to
newman

not a dealer demo, by the way. i wouldn't touch those.

they want to replace the rear o2 sensor. supposedly, this is the recommendation from Subaru (whatever that means).

Reply to
newman