2002 OBW Pulls to Left

I have a 2002 Legacy OBW that pulls to the left.

Tires are properly inflated with fairly even tread wear, but they're also nearly new.

The car has always had a slight pull to the left since new, but never as badly as it has been recently.

I suspected the alignment, so I had the dealer perform a 4 wheel alignment. Before the dealer did the alignment, the mechanic drove the car and described the pulling as "almost dangerous." The car would travel straight down the highway and then, all of sudden, veer off to the left on its own, even into the crown of the road.

After the alignment, the result was better, but a slight pulling is still present. The dealer is stumped, because they have checked everything that they know to check. They are going to escalate to Subaru, but in the meantime, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, JKG

Reply to
Jonathan Goodish

Edward Hayes

Are you SURE its better? When they did the alignment - did they say it was out of spec? What's the service history like? any wrecks or odd ocurrences? Towing? Does matter what type of road you're on? have they checked fluid levels including the front differential?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

It seems better. The mechanic drove the car before the alignment and thought it would be way off. It was out of spec, but it wasn't far out of spec. The mechanic and I both agree that it seems better after the alignment, but it still isn't right.

The car was purchased new, has never been towed, and has never been wrecked.

Roads have been asphalt and concrete, including highways.

Front diff. fluid level is fine. However, I did suspect that there was a diff. problem also, because I thought that the pulling was slightly worse under acceleration, but I'm not sure that I can make a determination about the diff. involvement from that observation alone.

JKG

Reply to
Jonathan Goodish

I had a Volvo that pulled radically to one side. It turned out the front tire on the other side was separating in a way that sort of tilted the tread on nearly half the circumference. Of course a rotation will eliminate the tires as a cause, but I'd think it would have been obvious when the wear was checked.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Does the car pull worse under load? When you let off the gas? When you are braking? Does it get better when you do any of these things?

Reply to
Sheldon

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Can't do it, the tires are directional.

JKG

Reply to
Jonathan Goodish

The sudden pull, does it happen under acceleration? coasting?

If your car pulls all of the sudden, it could be a rack and pinion problem. The r&p has a hidraulic valve which controls the flow of the hydraulic pressure to the desired side of the hydraulic assist cylinder, part of the rack and pinion.

Tire problems normally pull gradually, and at higher speeds the pull is more noticeable.

Alignment has been done already, but was it a reliable shop? Toe-out in the front end could result in steering demanding continuos corrections and the car would feel loose; any road bumps would change the course. Off-specs caster would cause a permanent pull.

Good luck.

J> I have a 2002 Legacy OBW that pulls to the left.

Reply to
AS