2003 Forester - How do I remove the PS cap?

Pardon a dumb question but I tried to top off the power steering fluid in my 2003 Forester tonight and for the life of me I could not get the yellow cap off the reservoir!. It just seems to turn forever in both clockwise or counter-clockwise directions and after scraping the skin off a few knuckles because of its location partially under something else, I finally gave up. I tried pushing down while turning & that did nothing either. I thought about prying it off but didn't want to break the cap. Is there some tool needed to get the darn thing off? Is there a trick to this thing?

Thanks much, Terry

Reply to
packrat

Good question. I checked mine. It pops off. Just pull on one of the two protuberances on the cap.

Frank

Reply to
Frank

Hmmmmmm. On my Forester I push down and rotate CW. Do you feel the cap depress when pushing down?

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Thanks - I'll try that. I was afraid to force it and break it.

Reply to
packrat

Hi & thanks = I'll try Ranks idea. In answer to your question - nope - when I press down it doesn't depress at all. I have a feeling Frank may have the fix, since it just turns forever whether I press down or not. Too dark out now though - tomorrow is another day.

Reply to
packrat