2004 Forester:dirt in engine compartment

Before I run back to Subaru, is it common to have road dirt/spray leaking past the hood, over the radiator and landing on the top of engine, hoses,etc? The hood appears to be closed all the way. This looks like mostly salt spray with a little brown dirt mixed in. Oh, no off-roading and it's at all of 1500 miles. Thanks.

Reply to
JohnL

Yes.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Yes, I have 1800 miles on 2004 Forester and Engine looks really dirty after the salt.

Reply to
George

Same here, 1200miles on a 2004 Forester, driving in New Hampshire. I was surprised at how dirty the engine compartment is already. -howard

Reply to
HowardR113

I drove about 50km on crappy gravel roads, some of it in the poring rain. The engine compartment looked like a river bed.

Has anyone ever had an alternator belt come off and get trashed because of a piece of stone? I was thinking I should keep a spare alternator belt with the spare tire.

Reply to
Dominic Richens