2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Headlight Assembly Removal

My WRX headlight has moisture inside the assembly. I am trying to remove the assembly, but I can't seem to find all the bolts that secure it to the car.

Do I have to remove the front plastic bumper cover in order to find the bottom bolts.

I know I could but a Chilton book with the answers, but a presently to broke to afford the thing and I am trying to get this car ready to sell.

I know where the leak is on the assembly, how to drain, dry out and fix the leak, but I was hoping the I wouldn't have to remove the bumper cover in order to remove the assembly.

I usually find that if a removal procedure is alot of extra work (i.e. removing the bumper cover) then I must be doing something wrong. There must be an easier way.

Any help out there?? Thanks

Reply to
dnthiessen

I don't know for sure on the '04 car, but on older versions the headlight assembly is held in place by 3 or 4 small (8-10mm) nuts accessible from the back, ie. from the engine side.

You might have to remove the battery, and various intake parts to get to them, but I don't recall having to mess with the grille or bumper cover.

If you _do_ find that you need to remove the grille, email me direct and I'll try to work you thru it; it's kind of a pain, and easy to break things if you don't do it right. I can't imagine why the bumper cover would be involved, but if it is you're in for some fun times ;-)

FWIW, you might try removing the lamp, and taking a hair dryer to the assembly to see if that'll dry things out, or just leave it sitting in direct sunlight with the lamp out and the hood open for an afternoon.

Purging the assembly with a gentle flow of compressed air may help as well.

Also, when you're done, use a bit of plastic polish on the lenses; makes a huge difference in the appearance of the car.

ByeBye! S.

Try here - part of the complete manual for download

news.virginmedia.com

Why not just take the bulb out and blow compressed air in until the moisture clears?

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

I tried removing the bulbs and blowing the mousture out with the exhaust air from my shop vac but the water just puddles towards the front up by the lens. There must be about 4 tablespoons of water in the headlight assembly.

But thanks to "NEWS.VIRGINMEDIA.COM" above for the repair manual I was able to remove the headlight assembly, drain, dry and seal the cracked seam.

You guys are the best.

Thanks, Denis

Reply to
wachovia.security