Tires

Hello,

I have a 99 Forester. The factory recommends 215/16 tires for this vehicle. I purchased the car used in 2001 and it had 225/16 on it. I am in the market for 4 new tires and wonder which should I choose. I'm thinking with gas continuing to rise I might get a little better gas mileage with the more narrow tire but it also might ride like a wagon.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Emily

Reply to
Emmy

There isn't much difference in actual 'height' if the 2 sizes mentioned are the same profile. But the speedometer and odometer will be incorrect (probably by just a few percent).

The primary factor for tire shopping is getting the safest tire for your climate and driving style. But I THINK there are tires made with 'low rolloing resistance' coumpounds that should be available in the correct size. You can research tires at

. Local tire stores will often match (or get very close) the prices. I have done biz with them, and also had a local store match prices.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Carl 1 Lucky Texan Jun 9, 2008 at 11:05 PM

My 99 OB currently runs 225/55x16 instead of 215/60. Speedo/Odo error with those or the 225/60s will be less than 2% either way. That's not going to affect much unless you're navigating to very fine distances or you upset a

*very* picky speed cop! IMO if you pick the make and compound that best suits your needs then get the best price available in any of those three sizes you'll be well served. Cheers

-- Message posted using

information at

hippo

Thank you for your information.

Emmy

Reply to
Emmy

In general, a taller, narrower tire will give better fuel economy. That said, there just isn't room for a significantly taller tire on the Forester; the rear strut kinda sets the limit.

As others have mentioned, find a tire that works for your driving style and typical conditions (and budget), and go with it. FWIW, I've been very happy with the Kumho KR21s on my '99 Forry; great tires at a reasonable price.

I'm running a 215/70/15 on mine. Tire Rack lists a 215/60/16 which has the same diameter (26.1 inches), and a 225/60/16 that is slightly larger at 26.6 inches. That's probably about as much tire as is gonna fit in the space available, based on my actual observations.

The 215 lists for $69, the 225 for $72. Check it out here:

In the long run, your best bet for fuel savings will be to modify your driving style. Nice and easy off the line, try -n- keep the tach below

3K RPM, and stay over in the slow lane as much as possible. Relax and enjoy the scenery. I average around 30MPG with my car (got 35 out of the last tank; most all highway, tho.), but have seen as low as 25-26 if I'm driving (er. um,) enthusiastically, or mix in lots of "around-town" action.

Above not surprising, really, but often overlooked in the quest for mileage.

ByeBye! S.