Replacing headlight assembly and aiming it; 2003 Camry

The original headlight (driver's side)was damaged in an accident. I was able to remove it because I had to unfasten part of the bumper to replace the fender and liner.

The new one is anchored at the top by a bolt and at the yellow end by a pin on the assembly that pushes into a nylon lock on the inside of the fender. Problem is, with just these two attachment points, the assembly wiggles because the lower corner just above the bumper isn't fastened to anything. I don't see any holes for a bolt or some kind of mounting clip. Maybe I discarded something when removing the damaged one.

Maybe it will become firmly anchored when I fully fasten the bumper. Any other ideas/suggestions?

Also, how do I aim the assembly? I don't see any adjustment screws. There is a metal disc, about 1.0" diameter, held in place with one screw, and with toothed edges. If I twist the screw (which remains in place just with friction), I can rotate the disc and probable may up/down adjustments. Is that the only adjustment? Nothing for left/right?

Thanks,

Ray

Reply to
Ray K

As a followup question, if I just wanted to replace the assembly because of damage caused by a rock (not an accident involving the bumper or fender), would I have to unfasten the bumper to remove the assembly?

Reply to
Ray K

Thanks to the Chilton guide for years 2002-2005, I got the answers.

It turns out there is another bolt required, right below where the amber directional lens starts. Have to remove a couple of bumper (cover) screws near the tire end so you can lower the cover to see the hole.

That is the adjustment. None separately for left/right.

Reply to
Ray K

Yes. There are a couple of screws that have to be removed so you can lower the tire-end of the bumper (actually, the bumper cover) an inch or so to get at that one bolt on the headlight assembly.

Reply to
Ray K