2005 Outback cruise control shutting off - manual trans

Cruise will set for a few minutes and then turn off....I can set again and it will hold only for a few minutes again. Eventually it will only old for a matter of seconds and then not at all.

Was thinking neutral switch in transmission....gets worse as it heats up???

Any thoughts or anyone experience this?

- Tim

Reply to
Tim Shandonay

Could be a brake switch fault too I guess. Weird. Um - was your 05 in that 'clip' recall? My wife's 03 was. Dunno what that was supposed to improve though as hers seemed to work well.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Is it a standard or automatic? If it is a standard, check the neutral switch; they are known to get sticky. The stickshift bouncing around can make it stick and trip the cruise.

Reply to
JD

What's a 'clip' recall?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Just did a re flash concerning a cruse control issue, check with your dealership concerning this issue. I don't remember the details, but it concerned the cruse control not holding, and a internet search showed others with 05's having it fixed with a reflash. Steve, Subaru Tech

Reply to
StephenH

they added a clip to the cruse control cable on the throttle body,

Reply to
StephenH

Sorry, I just checked and that was 01-04 Outbacks, so yours is not affected.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Based on the symptoms, it seemed very much to be neutral switch related.

I followed the 2 wire cable up to the motor and found where it plugged in. For now I simply unplugged it. Took it for a short test drive and found the cruise still set and held. It'll take a trip of probably 30 min or more before I determine if this truly is the issue.