2007 Impreza Motor Noise

I posted a while back about a ticking noise coming from the motor. Took it to the dealer yesterday, as soon as I started it up, the tech said I had a bad rod. The motor only has 55K miles on it and the noise is getting louder. It is covered under the 60K drivetrain warranty. Has anyone dealt with a drivetrain warranty? Are they going to rebuild it or repalce it. I have an appointment tomorrow at the dealership to get a documented diagnosis for the warranty process.

Reply to
flipper

wow! Yeah, I hope they get you fixed up properly. Um, you might contact SOA yourself and find out how they handle stuff like this.

Oh, and thanx for posting back to us on this.

Carl

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

How do I contact SOA, is there a number posted? I know the Service Manager said I will need all of my oil change receipts. The dealer has them up until 24k miles (extended warranty) and I am checking with Jack Williams for the rest. There were a few I did myself, the dealer said that should not be a problem. I hope not...

Kind of disappointed, the reason I bought a Subbie was becasue of their great service/mileage reputation. Oh well, would be my luck to get the one made on Super Bowl Sunday ! ! ! LOL Thanks for all the help.

John

Reply to
flipper

Maybe someone will have a direct number for you, but you could start with one of these;

Contacting Subaru: Email Subaru

Customer ServiceMailing Address: Subaru of America, Inc. Subaru Plaza P.O. Box 6000 Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

1-800-PIC-PART Parts Help Line 1-800-SOA-TECH Technical Assistance

probably have to tell them your State and ask for the Regional Rep's number.

Um, did you buy oil/filters with a credit card? You could get old staements on-line I bet. probably not needed though. They would really need to 'prove' you mistreated the car.

carl

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

The motor got rebuilt last week while I was on vacation. No questions asked, it was covered by the warranty. They rebuilt the whole bottom end. Drives like the first day I got it.. Smmmooooooth

John

Reply to
flipper

What kind of warranty did you get on the rebuild? Did they offer any thoughts on what caused the problem?

just wondering

Carl

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I have the balance of the factory warranty. 4000 miles. The problem was the main bearings were bad. I thought I should have recieved at least a 12000 mile warranty on the rebuild.

Reply to
flipper

I've had the same problem with my 2004 WRX TWICE! Subaru replaced the short block under warranty at 40,000 miles and again at 49,000. They wouldn't even drop the oil pan until I could document my service history. Since I do most of the oil changes myself I had to provide dated receipts (which I had kept) as well as invoices from repair shops that had done any work (I have the oil changed when I have my winter and summer tires mounted). I also had the clutch crap out at

11,000 (have driven about 300,000 miles on manual transmissions and NEVER had to replace a clutch) and the exhaust pipe leading to the converter rust out. Both were covered. I've got no complaints about the coverage, in fact wrote Subaru to compliment the shop and service rep who took care of me, but for a car with the reputation Subaru has, these seemed to be very strange failures. The car has never been raced or abused, but I do take advantage of its performance (why else would I have bought the car, and if you build and market a high performance car it should be expected that its capabilities will be exploited.

Nonetheless, I plan to sell it soon, while it's still got some warranty coverage (this is the only car for which I ever bought an extended warranty, 6 years - 60,000 bumper to bumper) and replace it with something else interesting and available for about the value of the used WRX and throw in a couple of grand more to pick up a well- traveled Lexus IS200, Acura RSX or something else with similar performance. Will miss that AWD, but my wife has an Outback 3.0, so we can still get around in a NY winter.

Reply to
suburboturbo