2007 Subaru WRX - problem with the turbo

I have a 2007 Subaru WRX TR. I have had no problems with it since I bought it almost 3 years ago. However, about 6 months ago I noticed that the turbo temporarily cuts out on me. It mainly happens when I'm driving long distances on the interstate. If I speed up to past someone and the RPM's hit about 4 thousand or more, when I slow back down the turbo is no longer working (noticeable sound and performance difference). Occasionally it will start working again after I get off the interstate but most of the time it won't work again until the car is turned off and has ample time to sit and cool off. I have also noticed it has cut out a couple times if I accelerate hard around town and get the RPM's up around 4500 or more. Same story as interstate: after that the turbo doesn't work and most of the time won't start again until it's had time to cool off.

I'm thinking the turbo is getting overheated and locking up but I'm not sure. I have beginner to intermediate mechanical skills but have never owned or worked on a turbo system before. What should I check? Where should I start? Or is this something I should just suck it up and take it to the dealership for? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Reply to
Adam

I would think that perhaps the boost pressure valve has gone wonky. If the turbo was overheating, then it would have seized up completely by now.

Do you get a check engine light? I'm not sure if turbo pressure is something that OBD II electronics normally monitor for, but it could be one of those proprietary codes.

Oh definitely take it in to the dealership. I wouldn't let a turbo problem go on too long, it might mess up other things in the engine if you ignore it too long.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan