30,000 miles coming up...

Hi!

My '03 Forester is rapidly approaching that Major service. The dealer charges $599.99 (plus, plus I am sure).

How important is it really? I am a very conservative driver, if that is the term, but you know what I mean &-)

Can a mechanic from an other than Subaru dealership do this inspection? I have a mechanic brother (by marriage - my ex wife - ) who has 30+ years of experience...

Anything brake before 60K ?

Your input is greatly appreciated. I wouldn't normally skip $600 on a $25,000 car, but times are tough these days...

H.

Reply to
number 9

What does it include?

Timing belt? Brakes? These are pricey and generally essential. Dealers aren't discounters.

Many, many used cars come on the market at 60K because the owners don't want to deal with 60K service.

-John

Reply to
Generic

I'm not qualified to make a recommendation, but I don't see why a competent machanic with your car's service manual can't do it.

One thing I would not do is just skip the service.

As info, my '01 OBW's 30k service included the following (Source:

Your car's would probably be similar: Inspect Steering and suspension   Inspect Clutch operation   Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system   Inspect Brake linings and drums   Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions   Replace Brake fluid   Inspect Automatic transmission fluid   Inspect Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil)   Replace Spark plugs   Replace Air cleaner element   Recommended Performance Replace fuel filter and inspect fuel system, hoses and connections   Perform Replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections   Replace Engine oil filter   Replace Engine oil   Inspect Camshaft drive belt   Inspect Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft]

Reply to
John Rethorst
30,000 mile service is an important service. Its one of the major ones. Dont skip it! You first have to outline to us what their service includes for the $599. I can say that seems very steep. I think my dealer here in NJ was around $400. There were some "fluff" items I had them not do and removed their cost from the service to bring it down closer to the $300 mark....which since I am not mechanically inclined was reasonable.

Dom

Reply to
Dom

The 30K service is mostly a bunch of fluid changes and some inspections, also spark plugs on non-turbo engines. Not worth anywhere near $600, and it's stuff you can do yourself if you have a place to work and some basic tools. Otherwise you can have a good local shop do the work for far less than the dealer charges. Also dealers will typically hit you up with "add-ons" that are totally unnecessary and do nothing except line their pockets a bit more.

Reply to
mulder

Agreed. You're going to make your dealer fat and happy when you write him a check for $600.

I've done all my own work on my '99 Outback and its costed me a grand total of about $600. That's for 6 years and 109,000 miles.

I suggest you and your brother-in-law walk through the service together. You'll be more comfortable with your car and you'll see that it's not that hard to work on it yourself.

If you can't do it yourself, find a good independent shop that is familiar with Subarus.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Look in your owner's manual. Assuming your Forester is similar to my 02 Outback you are looking at: Spark Plugs Drain and Refill Coolant Air Filter Change Oil & Filter Fuel Filter

I did the entire job with a typical toolset in an afternoon and less than $50 worth of OEM parts.

-Kurt

number 9 wrote:

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack

Do not skip the service items that are listed in your manual. However, the dealers I have used typically add a lot of other work that the car manufacturer says does not need to be done. Before committing to the service, ask your dealer for a list of the items included and then compare the dealer's list to the one in your manual. If there are extra items, ask the dealer for a quote on ONLY the items listed in your service manual. If they will not give one go elsewhere.

In any case, you would be better off with a GOOD independent mechanic if you can find one. I have a great local shop I have been using for

20+ years. but I know that good independent mechanics may be hard to find.

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

I paid to have the plugs changed and did the rest myself over a period of a few months. I skipped replacing the brake fluid.

Reply to
Jakey

I read the posts and I'm a DIY'er, but IMHO, it's not worth saving a few bucks with an independent mechanic on this. My dealer sends me coupons in the spring for various service items. I'll bet you can find a service special coupon from your dealer for this work (check dealer's website for service specials?). Dealer service is not infallible, but it's a safe, guaranteed route. Read the many recent posts on indie mechanics screwing up Subarus. If you know of an indie mech that is highly recommended and specializes in Subarus, then maybe, but otherwise it's a big gamble. Based on your outreach, you don't sound like a gambler.

My two pence, LK

Reply to
lkreh

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I would have paid to have the brake fluid changed and done the plugs myself :-)