90 Legacy, manual transmission - whine

I have a 1990 Legacy LS wagon with 5 speed. Ever since we got it (1999) the tranny whines noticeably louder than any other vehicle I've ever owned or heard. Especially true in lower gears and reverse. Any similar experiences?, Solutions? Might synthetic gear oil help? None of the Subaru mechanics have ever even commented on it and I never thought to ask.

I think 1st gear is a spur gear for better strength although quite a bit louder than the others. All the other forward gears are helical, although I don't know about reverse.

Mike

Reply to
Mike G.

I believe 1st and reverse are spur gears. Some guys have had troubles with the synchros running synthetic lube, but I found and improvement in both noise and smoothness of shift using mobil 1 in my 92 legacy.

Reply to
ceraboy