92 4WD Wagon Rear Axles

I have just got myself a 92 4wdWagon. It had the rear axles removed and in the comparment under the rear deck. How do I tell which one is the LH and RH. One will fit easily into both sides, but the other wont easily fit in either side. Please help. I'm off to Duranbandi on the 8th Jan 05 and it might be something I need out there in the Australian outback. Thanks in advance Ben

Reply to
Bendix21

To my knowledge there are no LH/RH Subaru axles, front or rear. I only worked on one rear axle replacement and I recall I had to drop the differential to reinstall the axles. A question is why the axles were removed in the first place. There has to be a reason the last owner went to the trouble of removing them. I also think the rear wheel bearings now also need to be replaced.

May want to verify both axles are the same length. One of the axles may not be a rear axle. If both are the same length than something under the car has shifted.

Reply to
johninKY