Before it goes to the crusher...

I've got an '84 GL wagon, auto, 4WD, PS, PW, etc. I've been gutting it for parts over the last few months and the engine's coming out tomorrow. Other than the glass and some trim the rest of the car's going to the crusher. The question I have is, should I pull the rear diff? What other parts should I save off this car? The spares are intended for my 2WD '81 GL wagon which currently has a blown motor. The diff I thought might be worth something to someone eventually.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

Hi JazzMan!

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 00:03:01 -0600, JazzMan wrote:

The engine will work; you'll probably have to swap intake manifolds, and the exhaust/O2 sensor configuration may take some work as well. Most all interior bits and pieces will interchange, IIRC the power window version has a nice arm rest/storage box, grab the mounting bracket too. Are the seats any better on the newer car? Seems like the newer ones had an adjustable lumbar support. The 4X4 has dual fans on the radiator; a nice touch. Wire 'em so they both run from the coolant sensor. CV axles, hubs, and brake hardware all probably worth keeping. I think the brake booster is the same, too. Wiper motors and arms, maybe the rear window if the defroster element is good. The newer car will have a tiltable steering column, and a spare ignition switch is a good thing to have. Also assorted relays and such. Oh, and grab the heater fan, and the resistor module (left side of the heater box, up near the top). The headlights and grille are different, but the rears might be the same, I can't remember. Struts and shox should also interchange. Oddly, in years of abuse, (knock on wood ;-) I have never had a failure of the rear drive components, so I would say that unless you want to convert the FWD car to a 4X4 (possible, but involves a lot of work), scrap the rear diff/drive shafts, etc. I have the factory manuals for both years, also an '81 intake manifold with the air control valves, etc, probably an ECU, too. If any of this has potential use, or if you need assistance with the engine swap, feel free to contact me directly.

ByeBye! S.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer!

Getting the motor ready for transplant into my '81 will be my spring project, hopefully I'll have the '81 going by early summer. I really like it, 35+ MPG, big enough in the back to load a complete washer or drier and close the hatch without having to bump the front seat up. My '81 has a relatively new clutch, axles, tires, and wheel bearings, that's why I want to get it going rather than this really worn out '84. I already sold the power mirrors complete with wiring harness and switches out of it for $20, was thinking of saving the rear diff for resale just because I hate seeing good parts get crushed.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan