94 subaru sport sedan turbo

this may sound like a stupid question, but is there any way i can turn off, bypass, or disconnect the turbo untill i want to use it?

Reply to
RW

NO, and why would you want to? Turbocharged engines are lower compression than normally aspirated ones so even if you removed it completely, it would not run properly. If you don't like turbo lag your going to have to get a car that's not turbo charged or has two. On higher end cars the problem is solved by using a second turbo or a supercharger which is driven by the rotation of the engine rather than exhaust gas.

Reply to
Scott McKernon

Sure, easy!

Just drive like a granny, and you'll essentially have turned off/bypassed/disconnected your turbo.

Stay off boost, and you'll be driving an normally aspirated car.

Reply to
CompUser

To nitpick a little, the turbo does need to spin all the time. It's in the air and exhaust gas flow and it can't be "turned off" so that it's not spinning. But as Comp says, until it starts boosting, it's practically the same as not there.

Why would you want to turn it off?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

It sounds aggressive and scarey? :-O

Reply to
CompUser

That's the beauty of a turbo. You can get the power of a larger normally aspirated engine when you drive like Mario. But when you drive, well, like my grandparents, you can get the economy of the engine's actual displacement and technology.

My biggest problem with a turbo is that it's a lot more fun to drive like Mario when accelerating onto a highway or away from a red light. My fuel economy over the last 20k miles in my '02 Subaru turbo has ranged from less than 12mpg to just over 28mpg. I'm averaging about

19.5mpg. It's all in what you ask the car to do.
Reply to
Byron