95 legacy over heating problem

I have a 1995 Legacy that just started over heating. I think it may be the thermostat though.

When I first start driving the temp goes almost to H in about 7 minutes but I get no hot air from the heater.

As I drive I begin to feel warm then warmer then HOT air from the heater and notice the temp coming back to normal.

Sometimes when I sit at a light the temp goes back up and the heat cools off again until I press the gas peddle again.

Could this be the thermostat? Water pump?

Please help!

Mike upstate NY

Reply to
Mike

The sitting at a light issue could also indicate a bad fan - if the thermostat and rad cap are both original, they should be changed.

When refilling the coolant system, have it done at a good Soob dealership, or research the issue here or at

or
- it can be tricky to ensure all the air is out.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

No heat from heater suggests to me you are low on coolant which also means air pocket somewhere. If it turns out to be an air pocket problem, you need to determine where/how the coolant was lose.

Reply to
johninKY