95 Legacy Wagon Lockout Solenoid/No start. Help pretty please!

Howdy folks -

I have a '95 Legacy Outback a/t, wagon with 190k and still running great, with one tiny exception. She won't start half the time. Starter is new, battery, cables, alt, all check out ok or have been replaced in last 10k. She also will eventually start if you rattle the shift lever, bang on it, tap on it, etc. So I pulled the cover/case off since I know there has to be a lockout solenoid in there, and dang if I can tell where the solenoid is. There is also one on the case to the tranny. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, solution?

Thanks so much!

Hannah C.

Reply to
Hannah Coffey

Shift linkage might be out of adjustment or worn.

Reply to
houndman

The solenoid in there is used to prevent the lever from being moved unless the brake is applied; thus it should not have anything to do with the starter not turning.

On the passenger side of the transmission, you will find a swithc that looks somewhat like a 3 inch or so halfmoon with wires sticking out of it. That switch tells the at control module what gear the lever is set to and doubles as inhibitor switch fot the starter motor. You would have to crawl under the vehicle.

The switch could be defective or out of position, though the same applies for the cable that the shift lever moves.

If you want addtional info on how to calibrate the switch or cable, message me at snipped-for-privacy@juno.com. Make sure you make reference to Subaru or i may disregard your message as spam.

To Bob, your No.3 was unnecessary. It tells more about you than anyth> >

Reply to
AS

Thanks for the replies - well, most of them. Turns out the switch on the passenger side of the AT casing was intermittent, but also my coolant temp sensor and its cable that runs to the ECM were bad. Replaced all three and runs like new. Thanks, HC

Reply to
Hannah Coffey