'96 Legacy Outback Intermittent No Start

Hey -

I've got a 96' Legacy Outback that about intermittently won't start (it happens about once per month). It only happnes when the car has been sitting all day (ie the car is cold). It turns over perfectly fine, but no pops or sounds of it trying to catch. Typically I walk away for an hour+ and come back and it fires up fine with NO CEL light (no light = no codes), and it runs fine for another month.

Nothing consistent weather wise... it's happened for 3 seasons now, so I've eliminated cold/wetness.

Plugs, Wires, Fuel Filter, Battery (I checked the battery the other day for giggles, 12V off, 14V charging, PERFECT) and crankshaft sensor are all new... I also checked the resistance of the ignition coil (per the Hayes manual) and it meets spec.

So, two questions: (1 - the usual) Has anyone seen this before? If so, what was problem?

(2) Does anyone know what part of the ignition system is monitored by the computer? AND more importantly, what ISN'T MONITORED? Does it monitor the ignition coil? What about the fuel pressure? Since there are no CEL codes, the problem is obviously in a place where the car isn't looking... this way I can try to focus my attention.

Thanks,

-R

Reply to
Rick

Sounds like a faulty crank or camshaft sensor. I had the same problem with a ´95 Legacy..

"Rick" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
japie

I replaced the cam/crank position sensor back in late Feb... besides, those sensors are tied to the computer and when failing cause the CEL to come on (which is how I diagnosed the sensor the first time).

-R

Reply to
Rick

Only an educated guess, but here goes. I would bet on fuel pressure. Two reasons: first is it's not ECU monitored ; second is it takes around five hours and sometimes more for the fuel system pressure to get down to zero. I know, i have a fuel pressure gauge on my 96 Brighton. So maybe there is a problem with the fuel pump or with the fuel pump relay. I would start by testing the fuel pressure when the problem arises. My two cents. Gilles

Reply to
Gilles Gour

I've had the same problem with my 97GT. It happens about 2-3 times a year... the engine just turns over but doesn't catch. I come out, play with the wires, tubes, pcv valve, battery contacts...come back in

5 mins and everything's ok. I would be on an air bubble in teh fuel lines or low fuel pressure alltogehter...never figured out what the problem was..

If you f> > I replaced the cam/crank position sensor back in late Feb... besides,

Reply to
EugeneT

Thanks for the replies!

Low fuel pressure eh? Since I have a new fuel filter, should I be looking into a new fuel pump? Or was there something else inbetween the pump/engine that I should look into? ...I seem to remember several places where pressure could be lost, but I don't have my Hayes book so I could just be okn crack...

Thanks again!

-Rick

Reply to
Rick