96 Legacy Outback that doesn't like to start

I have an on going electrical problem with our 96 Legacy Outback. When you try to start it, it sounds like the solenoid clicks but nothing else happens. After several attempts it will start as if there never was a problem. I figured I had connection issues and cleaned the battery terminals after getting the battery checked (it was fine) and the car ran fine for a month or so then the problem returned. I have repeatedly cleaned the contacts and got myself about 30 days each time before the problem returned. Next (frustrated) I cleaned the battery terminals, replaced the battery clamps, replaced the battery cables + & - and cleaned the connections at the starter and the deadman switch on the clutch. This got me 3 months of trouble free operation but the problem has returned again. I work in electronics and I know my connections are good. Am I experiencing a dead spot on the starter or something in the ignition switch or what? I feel like there is a resistive connection somewhere that is holding things up unless the other connections are flawless and once there is any reduction of current it isn't able to overcome the connection and the starter won't work. Any Subaru gurus out there have any ideas about this one? I'd appreciate any help. Karl

Reply to
Karl Saal

Have a 96 Legacy and same problem...Turned out to be the starter Sears actually found the problem

Gary

Reply to
GC

This problem is commonly caused by a burned and pitted started solenoid contact. I don't know if the solenoid is seperately replaceable on Subarus

Reply to
Ken Parker

Reply to
Robert L. Wilson