95 outback

1995 Subaru OUTBACK Air Conditioning problem: It appears that cool air comes in intermittently. I tried increasing the RPM at stoplights but that doesn't seem to change much.

I did try to disengage and reengage the a/c switch on the dash. It may have been my imagination but I thought I got cooler air. Where do I begin?

Thanks

Reply to
PK

Recharge the airconditioning system. For less than $20 you can buy a recharge kit from Walmart. Start there.

Reply to
iksalama

Reply to
rwessley

Unfortunately AC diagnosis and repair isn't really a DIY thing unless you have the proper equipment and knowledge. To get a good idea of what is going on with the system the pressures need to be checked with gauges to see if the charge amount is correct or if there is anything else wrong internally. Attempting a recharge yourself with a can from the store isn't a good idea because you can overcharge the system which causes other problems and doesn't allow it to perform efficiently. Also it isn't normal for refrigerant to be lost so if it is indeed low there is probalby a leak that needs to be fixed. The best thing to do is take it to a shop that does AC work and can deal with it far more readily than you can.

Reply to
mulder

Not going to argue with you about the not normal for refrigerant to be lost part (though it does seem to happen to a lot of cars in ND/MN....cold weather effect? I dunno but I know of a good number that it has happened to), but would have to disagree w/ the part about the can from the store bit. The can I bought for $15 from walmart had a gauge on it to tell me when I was at the appropriate levels/pressure. Is it as accurate as a professional grade tool? Probably not, though I'd imagine it would be somewhat close.

Reply to
iksalama

I think I have the problem figured out.

  1. Coolant was about 1/2 gallon low. and
  2. One of the radiator fans has not been functioning.

Reply to
P. K.