96 Impreza, Squealing coming from AC compressor

My friend's 96 impreza has had some nasty squeeling coming from the AC compressor area ever since he bought it a few months ago. The squealing is there whether the AC is on or off. We did think it was just a bad belt, but it really sounded more like a bad AC compressor pulley bearing. So we pulled the AC belt off and when we spun the AC pulley, we could clearly hear that it is definately the cause of the squealing, not the belt.

So, I'm guessing we have to replace the bearing inside the AC pulley? Does anyone know how to go about this? Does the entire AC compressor need to be taken apart? It would be nice to not have to discharge the system to do this.

thanks, jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Halterman

Did you check the idler pulley? I assume it has one. I had to remove mine and repack it for the same reason.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Yep, in fact the idler pulley is making some noise too, so we're going to replace the bearing in it. BUT, the real noise is 100% for sure coming from the AC pulley and I have no idea how to get in there and fix it.

jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Halterman

Don't have a clue, sorry.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I have the factory manual for the '96 Impreza. Email me and I will see if I can find what you need.

Reply to
Henry Paul