97 impreza - Short in brake light circuit?

I have a wierd problem with my 97 impreza (no cruise control, automatic). The brake light switch went out. I thought that was an easy fix, and picked up a new one a NAPA. It lasted two days.

After investigating, the internal plastic part on the switch that holds the connection open was melting. If the brake is depressed several times quickly, the switch instantly heats up to the point it will start melting the switch.

I pulled the fuse on the ABS control, and the same thing happened.

I removed the brake lights one at a time, and it gradually gets better. However, with the two main lights in (third one removed) it still gets too hot. It is fine with no brake lights hooked up - but that does me no good.

So, I am assuming this is a partial short somewhere. Any ideas where to look?

I thought it was the mechanical switch that holds the shift lever in park, but that switch doesn't activate without the key on. It still heats up without the key on.

I can't seem to find (or hear) a relay for the brake lights. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks,

Todd

Reply to
google

I'm thinking it isn't a short since there is no fuse blowing. Take a close look at the contacts that connect to the switch. If they are darkened - or worse yet pink - they are the main suspect. It's a common failure in current-carrying connections like switches and fuse holders: the contact tension weakens a bit, raising the resistance and heating the connection. That further weakens the tension, and so on. Eventually the temperature rises enough to oxidize the contacts and foof! The only solution is to replace both the switch and the connector. A wrecking yard will probably allow you to get just the switch (after all, they won't find a taker for a whole harness) which you can splice in yourself.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

D'oh! I meant the connector.