'97 Legacy Outback 30th Anniv.Ed. - Car wont start after...

some long time when the battery was removed. In addition to this I found a keyless entry module under the steering wheel and I dont have the remote (it was bought from the insurance auction). Nevermind the fact car was hit slightly in the front, airbags didnt deploy. I turn the key in the ignition, the lights go on but the starter wont crank. After a second from turning the key into 'run' position, i hear a click coming from behind the glove compartment (the computer or sth). But, when i tried to short the starter to the battery's positive pin - it cranks the engine, yet wont start. I was told the fuel pump doesnt work (doesnt feed the engine with the fuel). Any clues appreciated :)

Reply to
Smith

Sounds like the cars security system. crank the starter and squirt some carb cleaner in the intake and see if it fires. That will let you know if you have ignition. Also you might look to see if there is an aftermarket alarm installed..

Jerry

Reply to
jerryeveretts

Not sure how a legacy is wired but I do know that the main relay and fuel pump relay are both on the same fuse on an Impreza - perhaps that is the same on the Legacy.

I'd check to see if you are getting power to one side of the contact of the main relay and fuel pump relay. The coil of the fuel pump relay uses a different fuse, so that would explain why you'd hear the 'click' of the relay (that is most likely the fuel pump relay, powering the pump to prime the system).

Do you have a schematic to your car?

Remco

Reply to
Remco

If it is security system related, I might be able to help.

After installing an aftermarket stereo in my 97 legacy outback, I reconnected the battery but the console kept beeping and the engine would not start (the lights worked though). I had to turn the key to the "ACC lock" postion (or something like that) and then hold this button that was hidden under the driver's side dash. The button was a small black piece which was dangling from a wire on my car, but that might be because the mechanic had to tear it apart to find it before he sold me the car (he had mentioned something about it).

Anyway, there was a note about it near the battery, and in the manual as well I think. Hope this helps, though I'm not sure that it will.

Reply to
thomashanno

Ok, Im so down on dumps with that issue that Im willing to give up. :(

Jerry: I did try to dumb-start the engine as I mentioned in my 1st post and I was successful - engine was running for like seconds. About the alarm - if I knew what a 'clean' wiring under the steering wheel looks like - then I could tell. There are so many modules that Im lost whats what, although Im refering to Haynes book.

Remco: If I only knew where the fuse for the fuel pump is :P So far I know that the relay for it is well hidden behind the fusebox and it Is hard to reach. But following Your clue - I should start looking for the relay where I suppose the ECU (computer) is - the glovebox...

Thomas: The button... Yes, Ive been playin around with it for a while but no success, and I get that beeping sound all the time but I think its because of either the door opened or the seatbelt not fastened. I guess the Alarm would sound differently and louder:P

Anyways - more people coming over to try their luck tommorow, so... Wish good luck fellas. I surely let you know when the engine will crank.

Reply to
Smith

You'll have a really hard time getting this car to run without a service manual or schematic.

You can download all the factory manuals you want here:

will cost you about $30 for a 72 hr subscription but you'll mostlikely get a running car out of the deal. Good luck with it. Remco

Reply to
Remco

Well, guys - guess what It's runnning :) Its a celebration down here :)) Here's how it happened. One guy I called earlier on showed up, got me a spare headlight (that is strange how Subaru messed it up with the different models when about headlights, nvm...) and claimed he knows all about Subarus. ....ok ;P He went down under the steering wheel (I wasnt there, LOL). At first he said that the keyless entry system is not genuine but eventually he changed his mind (sic) when he saw another module (fuel pump cut-off thing - apparently). He ripped both things out and (to make a long story short) the engine started and was idling nicely. Dude, had it ever made me happy and still ! :) All my concerns about bent valves when timing the engine, about fuel pump relay, ECU, and so on and on .... Thanks for feedack, Good luck to you all, Tom

Reply to
Smith

Congrats!

Reply to
Remco

Excellent, now is it time to flip it?? or are you going to keep it?

Reply to
jerryeveretts

Well,... I was planning on driving the car to death - I mean - as long as possible while taking goos care of it but when I started repairing it I had thoughts of dumping the car at the scapyard. Now, I've made up my mind and this baby gonna rock me on! All the way across Canda. Im moving from Toronto to somewhere in Alberta or B.C. right after the car is fixed. Im going to make a web page about how the repairs went along with some amounts:) So, chech this topic back :P

Sincerely,

Tom

Reply to
Smith