97 Outback sport fuel filter.

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the fuel filter has to be replaced or, like my old Toyota it can be opened and washed and cleaned. Just seems as though the dealers/manufacturer are laughing all the way to the bank with parts that can't be cleaned and reused.

Thanks in advance. William.

Reply to
William MacDouglas

Hi William, I'm pretty sure it needs to be replaced. Good news is, it's readily accessible & an easy DIY job.

leo

Reply to
99Red_Forester

Thanks Leo. Yes, I found it, and it seems easily done. I just wish there were some way to determine if it needs replaced. In the older model autos you could take the filter out and check it and if need be clean it. Now you have to buy an entire new filter unit.

Reply to
William MacDouglas

Should be changed routinely at 50000Km (Oz service schedule). Will definitely last longer especially with v clean fuel and mostly relaxed hwy runs but how long? Your call! If you switch to ethanol fuel, I'd suggest an additional change 2-3000 after that because the crap that the ethanol purges from the system will clog the exisitng one soon after that.

Reply to
hippo