Paint Peeling from Hood Scoop?

My 98 Outback wagon has developed this problem. Is the hood scoop (whatever you call it... the vent opening in the engine cover) removable? Has anyone here dealt with this problem before? TIA.

Reply to
Ingram Freezer

Just noticed in the last two weeks that I've got two spots on the scoop of my '01RS that are peeling as well. The scoop on the RS is removable, so I can take that in and have it re-shot, but I've also noticed a couple spots on the hood where the clearcoat is starting to craze a bit.

Love my car, not happy with paint.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Braun

American paint work-poor workmanship.

Reply to
enigma

No, American EPA mandates crap paint for the sake of the "environment". :)

Reply to
Henry Paul

Problem with your argument is that my Impreza was built in Japan by Japanese workers, using Japanese paint.

So, it's either poor QC at the factory, or extremely cheap bean counters at Fuji specifying the application of a paint layer that's at least half as thick as it needs to be.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Braun

I have paint chip problems with my '96 Impreza as well. We have a lot of road construction going on here right now so I am getting pummeled by small rocks and dirt every day.

Reply to
Henry Paul

That is exactly what it is. Its the clearcoat peeling away. I assume I can remove it and have it recoated? I don't want to have to have it painted because the red on the 98 has aged and it would never match. Thanks for the analysis. Ingram

Reply to
Ingram Freezer

What color is it? Are any of the Subaru paints more prone for problems?

Reply to
CompUser

Not sure. Mine is blue, and my mechanic's is blue as well (his is a

2000). He has to send his out every six months to get the clearcoat buffed out.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Braun

Interesting...a friend who worked body & paint at a Chrysler dealership saw the WRC blue and commented that the Chrysler version of it was way too thin, and the worst OEM paint she'd ever seen...hmm.

Reply to
CompUser

I have a 99 SOW and it has the exact same problem, hood scoop clear coat bubbling up. I talked to the paint shop last week, they want 20 to remove and 75 to shoot it.

Does anyone know if it is okay to drive around in potentially rainy conditions with the scoop off?

Thanks,,,

Reply to
Dan Cole

Is it okay to replace the scoop with a flat piece and if so where would I get one? I don't like the way it looks.

Reply to
Richard

If you don't have a turbo, the scoop is cosmetic and could be replaced with a flat piece. No idea where you'd get one, though.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Braun

You could have one made and probably installed at a sheet metal shop. I had one build a bracket for me for an aftermarket stereo on an old car I had years ago.

Then it would need to be painted to match. Not sure what it would cost. I guess you could replace the whole hood as well.

Reply to
Henry Paul