98 Legacy removal question

Hello all

Can someone please help we with how to remove the radio cover in my 98 Legacy?

I've removed the cup holder and top air-conditioner vent cover but can't get the main radio cover off. The upper portion seems to unclip ok but the lower part near the ashtray and lighter seems to be held on by something that I can't see or undo.

I've also taken out the ashtray container.

Thanks very much in advance for any suggestions. I'm not a mechanic

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Almost there. There are two screws directly over the ash tray. Real bear to remove/install. You'll need one of those small screwdriver that has a right angle bend.

Reply to
johninky

Almost there. There are two screws directly over the ash tray. Real bear to remove/install. You'll need one of those small screwdriver that has a right angle bend.

AHA ! You mean those two that go up vertically inside the ash tray opening, right?

I never would have found them. Thanks ! I'll have to go get one of those little right angle ratchet screw drivers like you suggested.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

And it's even worse putting them back in ;{

Another item to think about (and it's not just the '98 model year). Those Phillips screws used there and other places in the dash/radio area are a PITA to get back in on reassembly. The first time, I used snippets of duct tape to hold the screws on the driver. Even then, I dropped the screws anyway when trying to get the "security module" buried alongside and buried by the radio (2000 OB).

Replace those Phillips screws with squaredrive (Scrulox/) ones from Home Despot or other hardware stores.

Check the length and size against the Soobie screws. If I remember correctly the ones I used were #10 by 3/4". Squaredrive screws stay on the driver...

You may have to buy a driver bit size #2. Try to get the slightly (about

1") extended one if possible.

To use squaredrive screws in the *&^%^%$E ashtray, put the bit in a 1/4" socket on a thin 1/4" drive ratchet. Possibly easier (and the way I did it)is to get a 1/4" "box ratchet"

\%22+box+ratchetas example.) and use tape to hold the #2 bit in the wrench.

Reply to
nobody >

About 20 years ago I was given a big chunk of rare-earth magnet. When I work with those tiny screws I like to stroke this magnet a few times with my screwdriver. Bingo. The screwdriver becomes magnetic and no more dropped screws. By the way, I have never been able to recover any of those dash screws that fell behind the dash. They always just disappeared. Most be a black hole or something back there.

Reply to
johninky

No, it's a wormhole - the screws mysteriously appear somewhere else. It's like the wormholes that form between two washing machines full of socks, which sometimes open enough to allow a sock to fall through, thereby creating an odd sock in both machines. I'm sure every household has experienced this one.

Mysteries of life explained ;-)

Reply to
Clifford Heath