99 OBW Shift from R to D slowly

Just purchased a 99 Outback Wagon with 103k for thousands under bluebook. Owner knew it has a few problems and was giving me a good deal as he didn't really want to deal with fixing it.

I identified a plugged up radiator that was causing an overheating problem. Initially thought this was a head gasket but a hydrocarbon test of radiator fluid proved this wasn't the case.

Currently I am seeing a 1 - 5 second delay in shifting from Reverse to Drive. I have read that a 2 second delay is normal due to AWD and front and rear diffs.

Another thing I have noticed is a bubbling up of what looks like clear coat on the hood scoop. This clear coat stuff has started to flake off. It is just on the scoop and not on the hood anywhere. Thoughts I might just let it all flake off and get it touched up...

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions/comments on the R to D shifting?

Reply to
Dan Cole