95 Impreza Massive Oil Leak

Hi, guys

It's probably pretty obvious to you all but I am just an average Joe, Gas-n-Go, totally clueless car owner. o_0

Now that we've got that out of the way...

I bought my Subie from a used car dealership a few years back. It had a little less than 95K miles on it and today it has about

105K. Since I bought it I have had the battery replaced, just about all the fluids, the timing belt (twice), the fan belt, both cv joints, and of course the oil and filter every 3K miles.

After returning from a short errand earlier today, I noticed a huge oil slick (it was raining) in the parking lot which, much to my dismay, lead straight to my car. It actually looked like two leaks that were about 3 inches apart. A few minutes later I checked the oil level and it was absolutely bone-dry. I also checked underneath to see where the leak was coming from but it had stopped leaking by then and the puddle was quite large. All I could really tell was that it came from somewhere underneath the engine in the same general area as the oil pan.

  1. What could cause such a sudden leak of that size? I'm really hoping it won't cost me that much to repair because I'm flat broke ATM.

  1. Would it be safe for me to drive it a couple blocks to a 76 station (after I put a couple cans of oil in it of course)? There was no smoke or any other indication that anything was wrong so I'm fairly certain I haven't fatally damaged the engine block yet.

Reply to
GluKos

If the oil pressure lamp works and is not lit, you can probably drive the car safely. If it lights, you're in trouble.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Did you recently have your oil and filter changed? Two simple possibilities: 1) Oil pan drain plug is loose. 2) When the oil filter was replaced, the old filter's gasket was left stuck to the engine, resulting in two gaskets, which blew out. If it is neither of the above, things get more complicated.

Ed P

Reply to
Ed P

When something breaks always suspect the last thing you did.

In other words: I agree.

Reply to
Mike Lloyd

I'm curious to know why you had the timing belt replaced TWICE in

10,000 miles.
Reply to
l.lichtman

Someone from Walt's suggested that it should be replaced but he screwed it up. It started making loud squeaking noises so I took it to another mechanic. He told me that the Walt's guy apparently used a belt that wasn't made for my car.

Anyway I had a friend look at my leaking engine and he says it's definitely coming from the front part of the engine near the crankshaft case. We put a couple quarts of oil in and ran it a few minutes. The result was a pretty big puddle of oil but at least we could actually see roughly where the leak was coming from. I sure hope it's something that's not going to cost me an arm and a leg.

Thanks to everyone for their input so far. :)

Reply to
GluKos