Albuquerque, Hit and Run in my '99 OBS

Based on what happened this morning, Subaru certainly builds a safe car. I have seen the ads, but one really believes it when he sees it for real.

While I was stopped at a red light, a GMC van smashed into me and pushed me into a major intersection. Fortunately, nobody T-boned me. I drove out of the intersection and parked on the side, waiting for the van. When the light turned green, the van took off and started to head at me, as I was naive enough to get out of the car and point to where it should park. He missed me and kept on going. I fired up the little Impreza and caught up with him. After I got the plate, I kept chasing him. This was 7:30 AM and there was little traffic. He eventually got on I-40 and I quit chasing after a few miles. Keep in mind that only about 33% of New Mexico drivers have insurance. This is also the city that according to today's paper, has officially banned the show "Cops". Too many of the episodes were filmed here.

This guy wacked me good and the OBS has only minimal damage. The bumpers must have lined up just right. So the the Police are looking for him. Anybody know how to run a plate...NM FRG702?

Reply to
SteveM

That sucks - the police certainly do know how to run the plate - unfortunately, I have found them to be less than useful in Albuquerque when it comes to minor accidents - a hit and run might be different, though... (odds are the idiot was drunk, which is why he fled) personally, I would let the insurance company and police deal with it - not worth the trouble and considerable risk associated with a direct confrontation.

My WRX was a month old with under 1000 miles on it when I was hit by an uninsured ford festiva (at the intersection of skyline and juan tabo - just before I40 - bastard had to cross three lanes to get me on an otherwise traffic-free road... glad I had uninsured motorist coverage!)

Reply to
David & Caroline

Unbelievable that we now have to have insurance to cover *other* people's irresponsibility. Drivers w/o insurance should be locked up when caught, and made to serve their victims when they actually do harm to others, until they pay off their debt. At least you wouldn't have to cut your lawn or wash your car for awhile. That's after the Sheriff's sale of their assets...

David & Carol> That sucks - the police certainly do know how to run the plate -

Reply to
Sparky