All warning lights are on (engine, brake, battery) - Bad alternator?

92 Subaru Legacy 2.2L engine

A few days ago, all the dash warning lights lit up and stayed on. This includes the check engine, battery, and brake lights. When I pull up on the parking brake handle, I can see the brake light gets a little bit brighter. Before this occurred, I could smell a plastic burning scent. I looked under the car in case I snagged a plastic bag on the exhaust and found nothing. When the car was hoisted for an oil change, still saw nothing underneath. It isn't the smell of engine, tranny, or automatic fluid smell dripping from a leak onto the exhaust (and I can't see any smudges left on the exhaust from the remnants of the burn off). It isn't the smell of a dragging brake pad and I've touched each wheel and found none of them hot (beyond those of the other wheels caused by normal braking). It isn't the sweet smell of leaking coolant or the smell of sulfur from the exhaust. It very much smells like a plastic bag burning up on the hot exhaust but I can't find anything on the exhaust manifold (well, okay, some oil) and pipes. Also, sometimes the scent occurs when I've only gotten a few blocks from home.

Before this, the check engine light came on occasionally. I could be driving at it was off and then came on. Or when I start the car it stays on. I've had it into the dealer and a car shop 4 times and they could find no code to read to indicate what was the problem. You can hook together 2 black connectors under the dash by the ECM (engine control module, or maybe it's called the MPFI module; i.e., the computer in a bracket mounted vertically under the dash near the fuse box). This has the check engine light flash to tell you an error code (long flashes are ten's digits and short flashes are one's digits). It looks to flash out a code of 35 which, I think, means a problem with the EGR valve. Yet I've been driving the car without problems for 3 years with this symptom and the car shops can't read anything from the computer.

I tried the trick of disconnecting the negative cable on the battery to see if the computer would reset. Nope, no go. The only thing changed recently before this all-lights-on problem was to replace the 2 fan belts. I started wondering about the alternator and/or battery. The following are the voltages measured across the battery's terminals under various conditions:

#1 - When NOT running, the battery's voltage is 12.2 volts (which is close to 6 cells x 2.1 V/cell = 12.6 V; it's a 6-year Delco battery that is now 4 years old). #2 - When I first start the car, voltage drops to 10.6 volts (which is probably due to the amps getting sucked up by the starter) and then comes back up to 11.8 volts. #3 - When running at idle (

Reply to
*Vanguard*

Sounds a lot like what happened to my '95 Legacy (also with the 2.2L) when the alternator went kaput. You are correct, the voltages should be much higher while the vehicle is running. It could be something simple also, but the alternator is quite easy to replace, even for a non-auto-tech person such as myself. I think I had the whole job done in under 20 minutes, and I know I could have done it faster had I known what I was doing. ;)

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

"Hallraker" wrote in news:EaVLc.40819$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com:

I've been calling around checking on prices for another alternator. Dealer wants $250, Pepboys wants $140, and another parts shop wants $80 (w/1-yr warranty). Yup, should be easy to remove and replace. Just seemed weird that all the dash warning lights came on for the one fault (which I would've assumed was associated with the battery warning light as regards to the charging system having a fault). Because it's easy to replace and $80 isn't that much, hopefully the alternator was also the source of that plastic burning smell. My ride left for today so I'll have to get the replacement alternator tomorrow.

Reply to
*Vanguard*

The reason all of your lights came on is because they are not receiving the proper voltage to run properly. The same thing happened to me in my old car. In fact, when I was driving down the highway the first thing that came on was the air bag light, then anti-lock brake light, then battery, and so on.

Reply to
Kent VanOoyen

Ditto to that. Improper voltage causes the sensors and whatnot to malfunction, lighting up the lights and it will often cause gauge needles to fluctuate as well. Oddly enough, things like the headlights and stereo are often the *last* to go, although sometimes they'll stop operating properly a bit earlier. For all the cars I've been in when it has happened, it starts with idiot lights, then gauges, then a power loss/sputtering, and if the car doesn't die completely then, things like the lights and stereo will start to weird out.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Buy one from a junkyard!!!! Maybe 20-30 bucks.

I replaced 4 on my daughter's car "all new parts" rebuilts that lasted anywhere from 1 week to 2 months before I got mad enough to say give me money back. Went to a junk yard, picked up one, 3 years later still makin' juice just fine. Don't know if I could do it in 15 minutes any more; out of practice now. :)

Reply to
pheasant

Update:

Well, I replaced the alternator and it looks the problem got fixed. The warning lamps don't stay on anymore. Voltage across the battery is 14V at 900 RPM (idle) so that looks good. There is no longer that smell of burning plastic (probably from the varnish on the windings).

Thanks for all the assists.

Reply to
*Vanguard*