Info suggestions on H4 engine

Hello, I'm looking for suggestions on reference materials on a Subaru engine that I believe is the H4, the boxer style 4 cyl. I don't know much about Subaru, so I'd like to find some reading on the different versions/model years of the engine, especially if I could find some torque and hp curves, etc. Thanks Bill

Reply to
bill

Which one?

There are several boxer engines made by Subaru. Currently the most common one in North America is the 2.5L, available as both a turbo and normally aspirated. They've also made 2.2L, 2.0L, 1.8L, and 1.6L engines, as well as tons I'm not aware of. Also those are sometimes turbo, sometimes not. ;)

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Thanks for the reply, Matt. Is there something like Chilton's or whatever that has some technical info? I'm especially interested in power & torque curves. Thanks Bill

Reply to
bill

I don't know about those manuals, but I have seen power/torque curves on websites, although most of those are related to the performance oriented boxer engines, such as the late model turbo models and the old 3.3L flat six from the SVX. Wouldn't you know, that I can't remember *where* I've seen them.

It will help to know the exact engine(s) you're most interested in. If you already have the engine, you can look around for some identification as to which one it is. I don't know about all Subie engines, but on the EJ22 as well as some earlier ones I've seen, there is a number on the top of the block somewhere, usually in a rectangular box shaped area. It'll say something like "EJ20" or "EJ22" perhaps with some other numbers/letters after that.

I'm by no means a Subaru engine expert, but I try to help where I can. Just out of curiosity, what are you looking to do? Aircraft? Watercraft? Dune buggy? I've never done any such projects with a Subaru engine but I'm fascinated with the idea of using a Subie engine for something other than powering a Subaru. hehe

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

One place to look is here:

If you can't find it, then ask on the message board. These guys were born in a Subaru.

jw milwaukee

Reply to
J999w