American parts: Subi vs Ford

Hi All,
A Found On Road Dead (Ford) loving friend give me a bad time about my Subi. He said I should buy American.
I told him I did and that my Subi was made in American
by the United Auto Workers. Then he said "but with foreign parts!".
Anyone have a link to a list of how many parts in my Subi are American made versus his miserable, fall apart Found On Road Dead?
-T
On 10/20/2017 5:46 PM, T wrote:

I worked with an engineer over 25 years ago that left Ford for a better job in R&D at DuPont. At Ford his last assignment was to adapt a Ford model to use a Japanese engine.
The last Ford I had, a Mercury Lynx, was assembled in Mexico. Real lemon BTW. I had to sue Ford and the dealer for the cost of botched warranty repairs.
T wrote:

Have some of those. Love having a big V8 in a little car at my command. Turbos suck (literally and figuratively).

Which means a good chance of buying foreign. Many "American" cars are made elsewhere and then assembled here. After all, they're called assembly plants, not parts manufacturing plants. Japanese automakers build 3 of 5 "most American" cars. The criteria for "most American" is mentioned below from the cars.com site. American-made just means American-assembled, not from where the parts come from.
Bet your friend doesn't realize that the USA has become the exporter of raw materials or parts for use in other countries that now produce the finished goods. Don't remember when that switched from when the USA was the innovator and producer to becoming the raw materials supplier. China is buying up the USA's trade deficients so eventually they'll own the USA.
Why Is America's Trade Deficit With China So High? http://preview.tinyurl.com/hz2l75y "China must buy so many U.S. Treasury notes that it is now the second-largest lender to the U.S."
"Made in America" has become a lie. It has become "Materialed in America, built in China, imported back to America". Manufacturing has become globalized.

Due to the globalization of automotive manufacture, I'm not sure you can find any purely American-made car: made from materials sourced entirely from America to make parts using plants geographically located in America and assembled only by Americans. They all have parts or assemblies that are manufactured elsewhere. The USA is exporting the raw materials or parts where the finished goods are actually manufactured elsewhere that then get shipped back to the USA to be assembled into a larger product. American-made doesn't mean what it used to. Hasn't been that way for a long time.
Used to be cars.com ranked the top American-made cars. They've had to change their criteria to "cars assembled in the U.S. with high domestic-parts content, predominant U.S. sourcing for engines and transmissions, and high U.S. manufacturing jobs supported per vehicle."
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/sc-autocover-most-american-made-cars-20170628-story.html
Per your friend's flag-waving argument, bet he doesn't think of a Honda (Ridgeline, Odyssey, or Pilot) as American-made. It's a Honda so it must be foreign despite assembly is in Lincoln, AL. He blankets all Subarus together as foreign despite the Impreza is now manufactured in Indiana. Have him read:
http://media.subaru.com/pressrelease/1045/129/first-american-built-subaru-impreza-rolls-off-line

My old semi-blueprinted Ford Mustang '82 with aspirated 302 (5 L) V8 with soft compound tires will easily outrace my stock '17 Subie 2.5 L Outback. The CVT is nice in the Subie for everyday or casual driving but I still like handling my Stang's stick. I can work on my Stang. The Subie is a bitch so let the shop do that work. Different cars for different purposes. One is for fun. The other is for everyday commuting. On my friend's farm, we use a tractor for other purposes.
Just beware that you don't become a flag-waving uber-patriot of a brand as is obviously your friend. So what is this Ford that your friend is so proud about? Where do the parts come from that are in his Ford? Where did the materials come from to build those parts that got imported back to America to build his Ford?
Print this post and put it in your friend's hand. Can your friend read? He certainly hasn't kept up on what's going on in newspapers, magazines, or online.

I got on this topic with a friend some time back and pointed out that Subaru has been making cars in Indiana for more than 25 years. My 1992 Legacy Wagon was made there, and of course so was my 2013 Outback.
Patty
I loved my 4.6L V8 Mustang GT convertible with 5-speed, dark metallic red paint, and a black leather interior. Everyone should own a red Mustang convertible at some point in their life. Still, I sold the 'stang and kept my turbo WRX: So much more pleasurable and satisfying to drive. I say that having some 750,000 miles of driving experience. The Mustang was for show; the WRX is for go.
On 2017-10-21 02:18:23 +0000, VanguardLH said:

On 10/20/2017 5:46 PM, T wrote:

Current solid content numbers seem to be hard to come by. Back in 2009 an Outback had 55% U.S.-Canadian content. IIRC Subaru was announced that whey would be raising the percentage and I believe they did but I can't come up with any verifiable numbers to back that up.
http://www.bankrate.com/auto/is-your-car-american-made-9/
But to look at it a slightly different way, in 2015 it appears that the most 'American' car, a GMC Acadia, was only at 75%.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-passenger/30-cars-with-the-most-north-american-made-parts/ss-BBhT7Dd#image0
And looking at it another way, the Acadia doesn't have the most stellar reliability rating
https://www.truedelta.com/GMC-Acadia/reliability-731
but the Outback is way more reliable
https://www.truedelta.com/Subaru-Outback/reliability-253
On 10/21/2017 10:26 AM, John McGaw wrote:

Oops. Forgot to mention that no Ford vehicle made the MSN list of the 30 cars with the most American content which means that all are below 65% FWIW.
On 10/22/2017 01:18 PM, John McGaw wrote:

Thank you! I win this argument! I should be a polite winner, should I be? Naaaaaa.
T wrote:

Just print out the replies, find your friend, say "Oh, as for Subaru not being American and Ford being American, read these and educate yourself." Don't grin. Don't ridicule. Just be calm. Not everyone knows everything about every product they use.