Idiot Insurance Agent

The thread on Chinese parts reminds me of my former Allstate insurance agent. When I asked why his rates were so high for my Bug he said, "Parts are expensive". I told him I could get a fender for under $50 and he answered, "Well that would be a part made overseas and we aren't allowed to use foreign parts. Allstate was sued for that."

I was flabbergasted. Allstate has none of my business now.

Reply to
John J

LOL.... can't use foreign parts on a foreign car. Anyway, Allstate had been sued for not using OE parts on new cars.....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Sounds like a basic brain disconnect!

Reply to
LLBrown

Interesting, when I got plowed by some dumb broad talking on a cell phone a few years back State Farm demanded that I at LEAST try an after-crash fender. It just ended up costing them more money because the new part arrived defective and I had the rental they paid for an extra 4 days.

Reply to
WindsorFo

I haven't figured out yet why there are so many commercials for auto unsurance and all claiming they can save you 15%. But what I know for sure is that if you bother to shop around, you can save a bundle, even with your current insurer. Just make sure you get adequate coverage and not take a lower price for lower coverage. Same goes for homeowners insurance.

Reply to
Question Quigley

That's certainly affirmative. Back in the 90's my agent talked me into getting replacement value home insurance. I balked at first because it cost a mere $150 extra a year (I was poorer then), but finally relented and sure enough, I got robbed, the thieves stole *everything* and I got all new stuff, better than the stuff that was stolen (because of improvements in electronics etc.). From then on, everything I own is covered for replacement value; including my bug. Just a quick hint for anyone that doesn't know, take lots of pictures of your bug and keep all your documentation (repairs, upgrades etc.) and let your agent know if you make improvements. Your rates may go up a bit but it's well worth it. Replacement value for my bug costs about $70 a year extra, but straight insurance would net me basically scrap value if it was written off. That extra $70 a year will guarantee I get $7K if my bug gets stolen or written off.

Reply to
Rev Turd Fredericks

Whats become apparent in Australia is that it is worth getting a new "quote" from your existing insurer without telling them you are an existing customer. Rates to get new customers are cheaper than renewals!. Used car dealers, insurance dealers, The white mans burden. John

Reply to
John