Anyone know what this is?

http://wintertime.com/Personal/Misc/Car-piece.JPG
I found it in the cup holder of my Outback the other day. I doubt that it fell directly into the cup holder; perhaps a friend found
it on the floor and put it there.
It's about three inches long when closed, and double that when the inside part is slid all the way out.
Patty
On 11/6/17 7:01 PM, Patty Winter wrote:

Looks like a short section of TV antenna wire. Remember TV antennas?
--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.

I have a TV antenna now, and like the others I've owned, its connection wire was never a piece of rigid plastic. Plastic doesn't conduct electricity very well. :-) Also, except for the day of the first moon landing, I've never operated a TV in my car.
Patty
Op 7-11-2017 om 01:01 schreef Patty Winter:

Looks like something that holds a lid in place in the 'open' position. Perhaps the glove compartment?
Gerard
I believe that's the cover for the wire that leads from the headliner to your mirror if you have the "Mirror, Auto Dimming Homelink Compass". As I recall, it sort of telescopes and snaps in place and is held by friction on the tabs on the top and bottom of the piece. Mine has never fallen off but I can see how it could be jarred out of place; there is no adhesive to secure it.
On 11/7/2017 11:27 AM, Ben Jammin wrote:

I think you got it in one. Look at this video starting at about 8:30 and you will see some sort of black plastic cover being installed. It isn't shown in detail but it sure looks similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIsusRrFleY

Thanks, John, that video helps. Yes, that definitely looks like the plastic piece I found. I'll just have to look around to figure out where it attaches at the top and bottom.
Patty
Thanks, everyone, I just got the wire cover replaced. Once I tilted the mirror down, I was able to see the slots to snap the bottom of the piece into. Then I extended the other section, which never snapped into anything but appears to be fairly well tucked into a hole in the headliner. I guess that's why it fell out; there's nothing really holding it in place there. Anyway, mystery solved!
Patty

Ben, it's funny you should mention that possibility. The other day, I was looking at the wire coming from the headliner to the mirror and thinking, "Hmmm, I don't remember seeing that wire before. Could that be where this plastic thingy came from?" I even felt around the mirror and headliner and didn't find an obvious place to attach a cover. But now that you've said that's likely what it is, I'll take a closer look and figure out how to snap it back into place.
Thanks!
Patty