Antenae on 99 SUS won't go down - any ideas?

Just started happening today.... The antenae doesn't go down when I shut the car or radio off.... I can hear the motor is running in the back of the trunk there but nothing's happening. Almost like when an electric garage door jumps the track....

Car sits in a heated garage so I don't think it's a piece of ice stuck in it...

Is it something I can get to to look at?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
ismlv

This used to happen every winter to my 1999 SUS now I put some WD40 on it a couple of times a year and no more problem.

Ron Donahue

Reply to
Ronald Donahue

WD40, the retractable antennae's friend. I usually wipe mine down with it first since it never gets washed as the car and/or radio is usally off when I wash it.

Reply to
John

But what's weird is that it's not stiff..... and I can manually push the bottom part down in to the hole in the side of the car... and even some of the other joints and they all will turn/rotate freely...

When the car used to be parked outside and it's freeze up, you could hear the motor go>WD40, the retractable antennae's friend. I usually wipe mine down with it

Reply to
ismlv

I had the same experience with my antenna.. older car (86 XT GL Coupe) but same symptoms... it started that it wouldnt operate when it was freezing outside.. then when day i just would go up, but only go down to the second from bottom joint... i tried wd40 and graphite spray, but still wouldnt go down.. next week, i was driving down the highway, heard a funny noise, looked in my drivers side mirror and saw the antenna all the way out, dangling over the side of the car. i looked in the trunk and the antenna didnt seem easily accesable, so ive been without radio for a couple of weeks.. any suggestions?

Reply to
JonnieBlue

Same issue I hade with mine. When the motor doesn't do the work, I can. It simply has too much gunk, dirt, salt, etc for the motor to extend/retract. I've alswyas been able to do it manually. Its not then jints that are dirty (thats why the spin freely) its the surface of each section that is dirty and the tolerance between each section is smaller than the gunk, dirt, salt, etc not to mention the friction created that the motor is not powerful enough to compensate for.

Reply to
John

I'm not sure about the subies but my Accord's power antenna was really just the antenna with a plactic gear that would feed into the motor. If is it similar, sounds like your antennae and plastic gear came out of the motor. The dealer should have the antenna w/ gear replacement if you cant feed yours back in.

Reply to
John