Re: Laguna bonnet release

I have a 1997 Laguna 1.8 RT. I'm having great problems trying to open

> the bonnet, I have to pull the release handle very hard and repeatedly > to open the bonnet. sI there a way to improve this, at the moment I > really need to top up the`screen wash and I just cannot get the damn > lid to open...

This is a known problem on Lagunas apparently. When it fails completely and the bonnet won't open at all, it can be expensive to fix, so fix it while you still can. Some people have claimed it helps if you get a friend to selectively push down on various parts of the lid while you pull, perhaps trying to disengage the two catches one at a time.

It might be necessary to change the cable if it has become stretched, but simply cleaning out and lubricating the catches often seems to help. They work a bit like car door catches, and their operation should be obvious once all the crud has been wiped away.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Kelleher

Why? It's a 2 minute job with a 2' stick to undo a Laguna bonnet. It's then only minutes to bolt a new catch in although you may as well do the other one while you're there.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

John, could you explain roughly how its done? Mines completely stuck on the passenger side, I've taken the under tray off & moved a piece of ducting out of the way so I can see & get access to the catch, but I cant tell whether it needs pushing/pulling or whatever!! The bonnet was stuck shut when I got the car so I've never had the chance to see how the mechanism works, cheers in advance.

Reply to
Paul

Really? - Wish I'd known that little secret back then! That just confirms my opinion of service departments.

Reply to
La

Reply to
julie.chris

It's a rubbish garage then. Looking up from underneath you can see both catches. It doesn't take much effort with a long enough stick to flip the catch. If you're lucky you can do the N/S one first and it'll do the O/S one at the same time.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

ive done a few of these & i agree, you can see both catches from underneath, easier on a ramp, flip them with a long screwdriver, when you have it open, replace both catches & cables.

Reply to
reg

I had this problem and drowned the buggers in WD40 when I got them open. That seems to help.

Reply to
gazzafield