Antenna H*ll on a 1997 Outback Limited

Ok, first off....I am an idiot. Went to an unknown car wash and completely forget to turn off the radio to retract the power antenna. The flaps on this horrible car wash snapped it like a twig.

Second, the situation. I have a 1997 Outback Limited. The antenna is a powered retractable factory install (original). It mounts on the back left body panel just below the window. The current motor still appears to work fine. The mast was broken near the very bottom and the "chain" (for lack of a better term) came completely out.

Now, I tried using the "universal antennas" but they don't work in two ways. The first is that Subaru uses a different type of adaptor than the universal standard. I haven't found an exact convertor (Subaru to universal), but I hope they exist. None of Crutchfield's adaptors look quite right. The second way in which they don't fit is that they are built to fit a round hole. My car has an oval slot in which to fit the antenna (rubber grommet piece goes in to fill the hole, and the antenna fits vertically through that).

Circuit City and Best Buy both told me "tough luck." Ugh. So, I called Subaru and they said I could buy a new mast for $62 or the whole thing for $159. I think I only need the mast but it appears as though I would have to drill through the rivets on the motor to get the "chain" back in.....and uhhhhh.....no. I don't have a rivet gun and am not interested in that level of work. As for the whole thing, $159 seem outrageous.

Has anybody been through this before?!?! Do you know of an antenna and/or adaptor that works? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
elliot.rapp

On my daughter's Nissan, the motor will pull in the new 'chain' portion of the replacement mast. I suspect your soob will too and likely that's why they sell it seperate. email Jamie at

and see if she has a better price (online dealer) and if she could take a peak at the instructions that come with it or otherwise confirm 'feeding' it back in. Of course, you must first get all the old one out!

good luck and let us know how it works out OK?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Heh, the first part, yes. ;-)

or

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

I did a mast only for a Toyota and I think it was pretty easy on that one. But it had a nylon like center core to drive the antenna up. Like the other poster said, they do sell just the mast, so should not be too hard to do.

Blair

Reply to
Blair Baucom

I did likewise on a Volvo 240 - twice. Pretty easy, you might be surprised.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Well, I talked to my local dealer and they wanted $62 just for the mast and "chain". He said that I would have to drill out the rivets, realign the new chain, and then rivet it back together. Not sure if he is right or not, but that was enough to scare me away from that answer. So, I did some searching online and found a subaru dealer selling the entire motorized antenna unit for $95. More than I wanted to pay, but substantially cheaper than the alternative....and a safer bet than $62 for a mast that may or may not work.

I also checked antennax and didn't really see anything that would fit....at least not without me putting together some awful home-made solution for filling the rest of the oval opening on the body panel.

Hopefully this time next week I will once again be enjoying the modern technological wizardry known as AM/FM radio.

Thanks for the help!

Reply to
elliot.rapp