anyone living in Toronto can teach me manual?

Now decide to take on a serious step, owning a manual subaru.... but, I still haven 't driven any manual stick yet,though I know the concept.

sooo, any one of you are willing to teach me manual lessons ? I live in Toronto, and willing to pay a bit. :P

best regards, Me

Reply to
grape

Only if your a hot brunette and make it work my drive from Detroit!

:-)

-Kurt

grape wrote:

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack

Whoever teaches you, make sure they don't tell you to downshift the car to slow down to "save the brakes". This will eat up the clutch and transmission syncros quickly. Brakes are cheap to replace, clutches and transmissions aren't. Same when waiting for a light on a slope, use the brakes to keep the car from rolling back, not the clutch.

Just remember this: anytime you are letting your foot off the clutch is when there is wear (a small amount, mind you), not when it's all the way up or down.

Ed B

Reply to
ed

yuck!

Reply to
grape

I just taught my 17 yr old son. Here's one tip... on level ground, learn to get the car moving by using just the clutch, in other words, no gas, just ease off the clutch enough to get it moving smoothly - once you've got the feel of it, it will make the rest of the process easier to master - good luck!

Jay M Hillsboro, VA - USA '03 Baja

Reply to
Googler

I'll second that tip - seems to be the clincher

Reply to
Dominic Richens

Look up driving schools in the yellow pages. Almost all of them will put you in contact with a teacher who in their own car (i.e. save your clutch), will spend as much time with you are you think you need, for a mere 40$/hr

Reply to
Dominic Richens

Reply to
grape

Rev-matching is okay though: clutch down, out of gear, rev engine, into lower gear, clutch up, and let engine compression slow you down. Downshifting directly and easing slowly up on the clutch so the engine whines.. yea, bad for the clutch. A clutch != a brake.

Plus if you get used to revving while the shifter's in the neutral position, the additional step of a double-clutch is easy to introduce to the learning driver.

Reply to
k. ote

Count me in for this. Taught my wife this way in a big parking lot - just forward stop reverse stop over and over again. Start in the drivers seat and purposely dump the clutch and stall it, make it chatter/buck, also demo releasing too slowly. That way they'll know before hand what's gonna happen a few times instead of being shocked by it.Then let the student takeover after they know what to expect.

Also, cemeteries often have nice enough roads for a little 1st-2nd,

2nd-1st stop and go practice with turns.

Carl

Dom> wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Wow, "!=" has become a part of standard English usage? I mean ..no one complained about it. Cool.

Reply to
amanda

Find a driving teacher who teaches foreign students. Typically the instructor would be Chinese. They are much cheaper than driving school but you have to use your won car, I think. Usually, you can find them through Int'l Student Community at a university. If you don't know how to go about it, follow this step if Canada also has similar programs like in most US universities.

Sign up with Int'l Student Office to be a host to a foreign student. Usually, the host invites the student for dinner on major Holidays. Some goes further and extend invitation on other occasions, including some picnics activities, etc.

My suggestion: say preference is a Chinese student because they are the largest foreign student community and resourceful. (Indians also have a large community but I don't think Indians tend to work as driving teacher.) If the student is not too secretive, he/she may help you find an instrcutor.

Reply to
amanda

Actually, you use your won car if the instructor is Korean. If he is Chinese you use your yuan car.

Neigh...

Reply to
BobN