Anyone replace just your speakers in your WRX?

The Radio/CD player is decent but I was wondering if anybody had replaced the drivers with something off the shelf.

I suppose I can cruise Crutchfield for what is suppose to fit but real life experience is hard to beat.

(MY02 if it makes a difference.)

TBerk

Bryan Lee

The OEM speakers are shockingly bad; even the "upgraded" speakers leave a lot to be desired. Rather than wear out my fingers on the keyboard, here is the text of a write-up on the WRX stereo that I posted on the ClubWRX forum a couple years ago. Should have pretty much everything you need to know, but if you have additional questions, don't hesitate to contact me directly!

ByeBye! S.

Hi Carl.

At 10:46 PM 9/2/02 -0400, you wrote:

Steve, I am purchasing a WRX sportwagon this week and am planning to install a stereo system I wanted to go with the Kappas but Crutchfiled says they won't fit. Is that untrue? I love the Infinity's. Thanks, Carl Jorgensen

Is there an advantage to having the crossover accessible?

Reply to
CompUser

Reply to
Bryan Lee

I have an '05 WRX and it seems they got smaller in MY05. The rears are 4" and the fronts are IIRC 5.24". I put correct size speakers in and it sounds good up front, but Best Buy didn't tell me at the time that they could have shoe-horned a larger speaker in the rear (or the front, for that matter). I think the rear would sound better a size larger, but if the speakers are good (which mine are) then the difference between 5-1/4 and 6-1/2 should be negligible.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Bryan Lee

I was asking OP why he mounted the crossovers in the door pockets (vice just taping them up somewhere inside the door.)

Reply to
CompUser

Not really; kind of a PITA, actually. The Infinity crossover is physically fairly large, and I couldn't find a decent spot for it under the door plastic, hence the location in the pocket.

ByeBye! S.

If you have the stock factory speakers the fronts are 5-1/4. If you have the "upgraded" factory speakers the fronts are 6-1/2. The upgrade includes spacers which can then be used to easily install aftermarket

6-1/2's, although you do have to be mindful of the speaker depth to avoid interference with the door panel in front and the window behind. The spacers are not available as a separate part so you need to supply your own if you're replacing the 5-1/4's with 6-1/2's.
Reply to
mulder