are all labor prices the same?

i have had to pay some heavy duty labor prices here in rhode island. one would think that if a person has bought a number of new cars from the same dealer,wouldnt they get a break? my real question is simple though. id like to hear from states in other parts of the country and know examples of labor prices. i had back breaks put on today..with rotors and it came to 475! WITH the labor. is this alot or normal? any comments are welcome!

Reply to
butch

me agin..i forgot to say i have the 2001 ll bean 6 cyl. sorry bout that!

Reply to
butch

I guess it depends on your point of view.

Since I do my brakes myself and I do them before I damage the rotors, it costs me about $50 for 2 wheels, including brake juice to bleed them. So yes, it does seem quite high for me. But then, I have to get my hands really dirty.

OTOH, $475 seems maybe a tad high for a dealer, but not outragious enough to bitch about.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I haven't needed my dealer yet but most dealer shops around here are $75-$80 an hour I think. I sometimes use an indie mech who only charges $52.50/hr and he will sometimes 'round down' on bigger projects for good customers. fyi

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

butch wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Why don't you call around to some other dealers?

Reply to
Alan

Dealers typically charge "Flat Rate" - look up the time required to do a procedure up in a book. If a dealer mechanic can do a 3 hour (flat rate) job in 1 hour you get charged 3 hours and the dealer wins big time.

Not sure how the independents charge.

Reply to
Ed Fortmiller