Overheating

I have a 1998 Forester L with 193,000 mi, which i bought new. The car is running very hot in stop and go traffic, but runs normal temperature on the highway. The fans seem to be working properly, and I am not losing coolant. The radiator was off recently, and I'm wondering if there could be air in the system, or perhaps there is a problem with the radiator.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of youth that doth not grow stale with age." ---- J.W Muller

Reply to
George Adams

I was hoping someone would have some better advice than me but it looks like no one is chiming in. What happens if you turn the heater and blower all the way on in stop and go? If the temp goes down, the water is at least partly circulating.

Why did they have the radiator out?

When the car is cold, open the radiator cap (not the reservour cap) and look in with a flashlight. If it is low, top it up with 50/50 water/antifreeze. Don't trust it to syphon from the reservour if it's lower than an inch or so.

Do not remove the radiator cap unless the engine is *cold*

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Yeah, why was the rad out? Who did the work? many soobs require some effort to get air outta the system. turn on full heat, fill overflow bottle with 50/50, park facing up on incline or put front up on tall ramps/curb ,etc. Run engine til fans com on. Turn off and let cool. Monitor o'flow bottle to see if coolant was sucked back into system, if not you could have a bad rad cap. Drive car and monitor o'flow bottle for several drive cycles. Also, there shoul be no oily film in the coolant or 'chocolate mousse' on the dip stick or under the oil filler cap. soob 2.5l engines are known to have 'issues' with headgaskets. Hope yours isn't one of them.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Jim Stewart wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Replying to Jim & Carl

Head gaskets. {:-(

Local shop with experience on Soobs. Couldn't get to a dealer without a tow. This was done in Feb. The car has been running fine other than the heating problem, which just showed up this week with the hot weather.

Oil was changed 1,200 miles ago and is still clear and clean. Coolant also appears clean.

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I'll try your suggestions.