AT Flush?

My dealer has suggested flushing the automatic transmission (I have 20K miles on the Forester).

This is the first automatic I have owned in 20 years. Is flushing the AT fluid a typical maintenance item?

Thanks!

Reply to
Bart

No...Changing the fluid every 30 K miles should be sufficient enough. Regards, Viktor.

Reply to
Viktor

Yes - todays transmissions are a lot more compact but generate the same amount of heat, so the fluid takes more of a beating. The days of never changing the fluid and expecting to get 100+k miles out of the tranny are gone. If you want to get 200+k miles out of the tranny, change the fluid.

I don't know what Subaru recommends on that one, but 20k miles sounds a little early. Go by the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual and do it 10-15k miles early or follow the severe service schedule if you want to be conservative.

Bill Putney