better driveability after battery change

Hello all.

I changed out my battery today on my 03 OBS (and I also put on my winter wheels & tires ...) and I noticed a difference in how the car drives. It seems that the RPMs don't drop as fast as they used to after I push in the clutch, even when the A/C is on. Therefore, the shifting seems much more forgiving.

I've read many people talking about the ECU and that resetting it can sometimes be a solution to many a problem. This implies that the ECU is adaptable, or learns over time. What is the purpose of this? If a common suggestion is to reset the ECU, it would appear that the "learning" feature of the ECU is not necessarily a good feature.

Chico

Reply to
Chicobiker

I wouldn't discount the possibility that the alternator was being overworked and/or the ground connection was poor. The purpose of the adaptability of the ECU is, of course, to attempt to compensate for variations in sensor wear, fuel octane rating, altitude and temperature. maybe something else I can't think of.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

The ECU is continuously doing "adaptive learning" to maintain the correct air/fuel ratios and timing with minimal knock. It also learns the values for the idle controller to maintain the proper idle speed. All cars do this, not just Subaru. When you disconnect the battery the learned parameters are cleared and reset to their default values, so the process has to begin all over again. You may notice the car runs differently for a while until the ECU has re-learned. This is a dynamic process, which allows the ECU to compensate for aging components and changes in the environment (temperature, barometric pressure etc.). It is also possible that if your old battery was weak it was placing a noticeable load on the alternator.

Reply to
mulder

I'm starting to believe this a little more. The voltage regulation was not as good with my old battery. When the engine was at idle, the headlights were a little dimmer than at any other RPM. I could notice this at stop lights. When I took off again the lights would get brighter as soon as the RPMs went up. It also happened when simply reving the engine while stopped. I could even see my dome light flicker if I had the hazard lights on!

Reply to
Chicobiker

... the mood of your significant other. If the passenger airbag sensor detects too much fidgeting it turns airbag off and reprograms dual zone control to blow cooler air and turns on seat cooling, er, the latter was Mercedes option. My fault.

Reply to
Body Roll