Engine Constantly Revving ?

Hi i have found that having not used my car (clio) of late i ended up with a flat battery, managed to use a mobile jump start unit thing but found after staring the car that the engine was constantly revving even though i was not giving it any gas. I switched of the ignition and then tried it again but this time all was ok, however after using the car for a short journey then trying it a third time i found it had started doing the revving thing again so i have now just left it and am awaiting for my local garage to come and look at it. In the meantime can anyone tell me why it may be doing this and if it is at all a serious problem, may it have something to do with the battery being flat....? Any help with this would be appreciated.

Reply to
izy aranh

Could be the ECU going through its re-learning process. On my car, the manual warns that if the ECU is without power for a period of time, the car may drive unusually (i.e. the revs may do weird things) while the ECU learns about the engine's status again.

I can't remember offhand how long the process takes on my car. How long have you driven the car since you jump started it?

Chris.

Reply to
Chris M

Check that the throttle is returning to 'shut'. It sounds as though, if the car has not been used for a while, there may be some corrosion causing the throttle not to shut properly.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob Graham

I started my Nexia at a petrol station and it revved up to about 2500 and stayed there all the time; turned out to be the ECU, which would've been nasty had I not known someone with access to a replacement very cheaply.

Reply to
Chewie