Engine cuts out after battery change????

Hi Group, I have oberved something I can't explain. Maybe someone can suggest the cause. I have a 1998 Mitsubishi Spacewagon. Great car. About 4 months ago (after 100,000 miles) I needed a new battery. Had it installed and drove away. For the next few days the engine would cut out whenever the revs dropped near idle. At traffic lights, changing gear etc etc. I was very worried and about to get help when after about the second day the problem went away and never reappeared. Car perfect since then.

Two days ago I had to disconnect the battery (to get access to replace a parking bulb). After I reconnected, the same old problem re-appeared - cutting out at traffic lights and idling. Now, today, to my delight, after two days of misery and hassle, the car is perfect again.

What is going on? Is the computer so dumb that it has to re-learn when not to cut out?

Am I missing something? Is this a well-know problem. I need to understand this phenomenon!!!!

Ger

Reply to
Ger

This is a known feature. the computer learns about the engine and your driving habits over a few days. To speed the process there is a system of teaching, but it varies from make to make, I have only ever read up the ford system.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Yes.

Reply to
Chris Street

It needs an 'Italian tune-up' ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Esentially yes. If you keep it long enough to need to do it again then a gunsons battery saver eliminates the grief

Reply to
DuncanWood

I have noticed the same on my wife's Ford Ka - hope it learns soon - after all it was my fault the battery failed wasn't it!

Reply to
Peter Balcombe

Yes the computer has to relearn idle characteristics after battery disconnection.

It does sound like your's maybe needing a large amount of idle correction (which is taking a longer time to re-learn) it might be wise to check and clean out the throttle body / butterfly and the idle control valve- as carbon deposits (especially after 100k) restrict airflow through the throttle (which is not completely shut) meaning all the idle air has to pass through the control valve- meaning it has to open more than it ought to.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

I suppose different cars act differently in this situation but I would have thought it would be better (and safer) for the management system to increase the revs while it's in "learning mode" instead of dropping so low that it cuts out.

Reply to
Mark

Thanks to everyone who commented. Much appreciated. I am very relieved!! Ger

Reply to
Ger

I think maybe you should reread Tims reply. I can't quite understand why a new car would cut out in learning mode. I would have thought it would go high before it learnt. My old Volvo did. Sounds like it could do with a service, a proper one that is.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Yes, I agree. Thanks Tim. Sounds like two days to learn is a bit long. Good service required. Ger

Reply to
Ger