`95 Legacy L & rear brake grinding

Hello all,

My mom made mention yesterday of noticing a weird grinding noise and feeling coming from the right rear wheel area of the vehicle when she pressed on the brake. She first noticed this when driving on the interstate where it only did it once while getting off at an exit ramp. It didn't make any more noises until today when it appearantly began happening or at least became more noticeable more often. When she got home this evening I took the car for a half mile drive pressing on the brake to slowdown in the road and drove into a parking lot where I pressed on the brakes somewhat hard to get a reaction. I heard and felt a VERY noticeable grinding sound and feeling coming from the right wheel area.

My intial thought was something is wrong with the brake pad or rotor. After getting out and inspecting the rotor I didn't notice any cracks or any newly formed grooves in the rotor indicating something might have gotten lodged between the pad and rotor. Or is all of this a sign of something different?

Bradley

Reply to
Bradley Walker

If a caliper is stuck on the slides, the outer pad that's easy to see can look good but the inner one can be on metal. Get them inspected properly and proceed from there.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Wheel bearing?

Reply to
johninKY

The service department at the dealership said that there are virtually no rear brakes on my mom's Subaru (she just got done driving it home from a

1400 mile round trip). The caliper on the right rear is frozen/locked/rusted in place and not even functioning where as the left rear has some mild functionality. However the brake pads themselves are totally gone on both, with both the rotors having been worn down to the point that the dealership was afraid they'd break off. Total replacement cost, ~$800.

Reply to
Bradley Walker