Brake problem?

I have a '97 Outback. It's been really cold here, and I've noticed when I first hit the brakes, like when backing out of the driveway, the pedal is very hard and nothing happens. If I keep pushing it eventually gives and I have brakes again. Either that or let the car warm up quite a bit. Pedal is a bit mushy otherwise, but that seems to be pretty normal in this group from what I've read so far.

Anybody know what's causing this?

Thanks.

Sheldon

Reply to
Sheldon

A previous poster had a similar problem. Probably the check valve in the vacuum line was the diagnosis. Here's the original thread:

clare at snyder. > On 4 Jan 2008 19:02:57 -0800, Allison Turner- > wrote: >

Hi, How old is the brake fluid? More likely it is contaminated with moisture. Flush and refill. Brake fluid doesn't last forever.

Reply to
Ragnar