Rough shift into AWD

Lotsa snow here, and I can easily feel when the AWD is kicking in...it's a thump rather than the old smooth way it used to work. What should I do?

99 OBW.

-John O

Reply to
John O

"John O" Jan 26, 2008 at 07:19 PM

Are diff and trans oil levels ok? If A/T, when was fluid and filter last changed? Cheers

-- Message posted using

information at

hippo

It is A/T, I changed the filter last winter. Fluid was completely flushed three years ago, and I drained the pan last spring and added new fluid. I checked the diff fluid a few months ago and it was good and clean. I'll check them both asap, the car is cold and I'm not planning to drive anywhere today. Shifting is normal otherwise.

-John O

Reply to
John O

Perhaps the problem is in the rear 'drivetrain' a u-joint or something?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I had to take my youngest over to a friend's, and the 7-mile trip warmed up the tranny enough to check levels while the car is running, and whatcha know...it's a little low. I added about a half quart and we'll see what happens tomorrow. Problem is that it's 37 F today, melting nearly all of the snow on the roads, and expected to be 45 F tomorrow. I might not get a chance to check this out.

I hope it's fluid, but we'll see.

-John O

Reply to
John O

something?

Our 99OBW started thumping quite heavily between 2 & 3 on most changes, whether light or full throttle. Levels were ok but ATF and filter hadn't been changed for about 72,000Km instead of recommended 50K. Didn't fix it overnight but after about 1,000Km all seemed back to normal and still is

20K later. Hence my original question. Hope it is just fluid. Cheers

-- Message posted using

information at

hippo

My car has long had a nice thump between 1 & 2 when cold, on light loads.

I added about a quart of fluid, and both the 1 & 2 thump and the AWD thumps are better. The AWD one is a lot better; I can still feel it but I'm looking for it now. I'll check the fluid level again when I get home today, maybe I need even more.

Thanks!

-John O

Reply to
John O